Based on a fixed-off-time (FOT) control technique, the L4986 includes proprietary circuitries able achieve the same performance as more complex/expensive current mode controllers.
A high-performance, low-component count solution for CCM-operated boost PFC pre-regulators in EN61000-3-2 and JEIDA-MITI compliant applications, the L4986 simplifies designs and enhances flexibility by integrating 800V startup circuitry and additional valuable proprietary features.
- Peak current mode CCM-operated
- 800 V high voltage startup with integrated input voltage sensing
- Active input filter capacitor discharge
- Proprietary multiplier emulator with minimum THD of line current in all operating conditions (CCM and DCM)
- Extremely few external components
- Protections: feedback loop failure, OVP, OCP, inductor saturation, brown-in, brownout (compliant to medical SMPS standards)
- Inductor current sense
- Disable and low consumption function
- In-rush current monitoring
- Soft-start for smooth startup
- 1.2% (@ Tj = 25 °C) internal reference voltage
- 65 kHz (A version) and 130 kHz (B version) switching frequency
- PGOOD_OUT and adjustable PGOOD_IN
- SSOP10 package
PFC pre-regulators for:
Suitable for SMPS designs from 150 W to several kW, the design features very low input current distortion (THD) in all operating conditions, and highly limited number of external components, as the high-voltage start-up circuit and the X-cap discharge circuits are embedded in the L4986.
Based on a double-boost (Barbi) topology, the board offers high efficiency and low input current THD across the entire input voltage range thanks to a low-complexity schematic and fewer components compared to similar bridgeless solutions.