The TCPP01-M12 (type-C port protection) is a single chip solution for USB type-C port protection that facilitates the migration from USB legacy connectors type-A or type-B to USB type-C connectors. The TCPP01-M12 features 22 V tolerant ESD protection as per IEC61000-4-2 level 4 on USB type-C connector configuration channel (CC) pins. For a safe and reliable USB type-C implementation, the TCPP01-M12 provides overvoltage protection on CC1 and CC2 pins when these pins are subjected to short circuit with the VBUS pin that may happen when removing the USB type-C cable from its receptacle. For sink applications, TCPP01-M12 triggers an external N-MOSFET on VBUS line when a defective power source applies a voltage higher than selected OVP threshold. Also, the TCPP01-M12 integrates a “dead battery” management logic that is compliant with the latest USB power delivery specification. The power supply of the TCPP01-M12 for sink applications operated with a battery can be provided by an MCU 3.3 V GPIO in order to drop the power consumption in “cable not attached” condition down to 0 nA. This low power mode will extend the battery operating life when no source equipment is attached.
The TCPP01-M12 can also be used to protect source (provider) applications, and it can support programmable power supply feature from the USB-C power delivery specification.
- VBUS overvoltage protection, adjustable from 5 V up to 22 V, with external N-channel MOSFET
- 6.0 V overvoltage protection (OVP) on CC lines against short-to-VBUS
- System-level ESD protection for USB type-C connector pins (CC1, CC2), compliant with IEC 61000-4-2 level 4 (±8 kV contact discharge, ±15 kV air discharge)
- Integrated gate driver and charge pump for an external N-channel MOSFET, (featuring lower RDSON than a P-channel MOSFET) for low BOM cost
- Null quiescent current when no USB charging cable is attached for battery-operated "consumer/sink" applications
- Integrated “dead battery” (RD resistors)
- Over temperature protection (OTP)
- Operating junction temperature from -40°C to 85°C
- Complies with the latest USB type-C and USB power delivery standards
- Compliant with programmable power supply (PPS)
- Open-drain fault reporting
- ECOPACK2 compliant
- USB-IF certification as power sinking device with TID: 3036 on X-Nucleo-USBPDM1 and Nucleo-STM32G071RB
An easy way to safely migrate from USB micro-B to USB-C using TCPP01-M12 for STM32-based applications.
In this video, we explain why it is important to protect against electrostatic discharges. We give a quick demonstration to show exactly what happens when you shoot at a microcontroller with an ESD gun!
PEP01-5841, for Power over Ethernet supply lines
Recommended for you
Quality and Reliability
|Part Number||Marketing Status||Package||Grade||RoHS Compliance Grade||Material Declaration**|
(**) The Material Declaration forms available on st.com may be generic documents based on the most commonly used package within a package family. For this reason, they may not be 100% accurate for a specific device. Please contact our sales support for information on specific devices.
Sample & Buy
|Part Number||Order from Distributors||Order from ST||Marketing Status||Breakdown Voltage (V) (min)||Directionality||Package||Packing Type||ECCN (US)||Country of Origin||Budgetary Price (US$)*/Qty|
|TCPP01-M12|| 4 distributors |
Distributor availability ofTCPP01-M12
Distributor reported inventory date: 2020-07-13
|Buy now|| |
|24||Uni-Directional||QFN12||Tape And Reel||EAR99||MALAYSIA||0.403 / 100|
Breakdown Voltage (V) (min)24
Tape And Reel
Budgetary Price (US$)* / Qty
0.403 / 100
Country of Origin