The TCPP01-M12 (type-C port protection) is a single chip solution for USB type-C port protection that facilitates the migration from USB legacy connectors type-A or type-B to USB type-C connectors. The TCPP01-M12 features 22 V tolerant ESD protection as per IEC61000-4-2 level 4 on USB type-C connector configuration channel (CC) pins. For a safe and reliable USB type-C implementation, the TCPP01-M12 provides overvoltage protection on CC1 and CC2 pins when these pins are subjected to short circuit with the VBUS pin that may happen when removing the USB type-C cable from its receptacle. For sink applications, TCPP01-M12 triggers an external N-MOSFET on VBUS line when a defective power source applies a voltage higher than selected OVP threshold. Also, the TCPP01-M12 integrates a “dead battery” management logic that is compliant with the latest USB power delivery specification. The power supply of the TCPP01-M12 for sink applications operated with a battery can be provided by an MCU 3.3 V GPIO in order to drop the power consumption in “cable not attached” condition down to 0 nA. This low power mode will extend the battery operating life when no source equipment is attached.
The TCPP01-M12 can also be used to protect source (provider) applications, and it can support programmable power supply feature from the USB-C power delivery specification.
- Overvoltage protection on VBUS, adjustable up to 22 V, with external N-channel MOSFET
- 6.0 V overvoltage protection (OVP) on CC lines against short-to-VBUS
- System-level ESD protection for USB type-C connector pins (CC1, CC2), compliant with IEC 61000-4-2 level 4 (±8 kV contact discharge, ±15 kV air discharge)
- Integrated charge pump to control the gate of an external N-channel MOSFET (which features a lower RDSON than a P-channel MOSFET)
- Null quiescent current when no USB charging cable is attached for battery-operated "consumer/sink" applications
- Integrated “dead battery” (RD resistors)
- Over temperature protection (OTP)
- Operating junction temperature from -40°C to 85°C
- Complies with the latest USB type-C and USB power delivery standards
- Compliant with programmable power supply (PPS) as defined in latest USB PD specification
- Open-drain fault reporting
- ECOPACK2 compliant
An easy way to safely migrate from USB micro-B to USB-C using TCPP01-M12 for STM32-based applications.
In this video, we explain why it is important to protect against electrostatic discharges. We give a quick demonstration to show exactly what happens when you shoot at a microcontroller with an ESD gun!
PEP01-5841, for Power over Ethernet supply lines
Recommended for you
|Part Number||Marketing Status||Package||Grade||RoHS Compliance Grade||Material Declaration**|
(**) The Material Declaration forms available on st.com may be generic documents based on the most commonly used package within a package family. For this reason, they may not be 100% accurate for a specific device. Please contact our sales support for information on specific devices.